- You should be eating well and hydrating throughout the day so that you are well fueled and ready for practice. Thirty minutes before practice (on the bus) you should eat something small and drink something with electrolytes.
- ALWAYS have a full water bottle or two for practice.
- Change into proper clothing for practice before getting on the bus, there will not be time when you arrive at the boathouse.
- When you arrive check in with your coach.
- Store personal items (back backs and bags) in the boathouse or by the shed. Cell phones, car keys and wallets can be stored in the WJ Crew shed in a safe. No other personal items can be stored in the shed. Bring iPods, Gameboys and other electronic or expensive items at your own risk.
- Get down oars, set up the coaches launches and then start your warm-up.
- When getting on the water, listen to your coxswain, be aware of other boats and teams, and be efficient when on the dock. Take shoes in the boat with you or place them out of the way from other crews launching.
- No cell phones in the boat, unless you are the coxswain.
- On the water, do not talk while doing drills or pieces and make sure to stay hydrated. If you are not sure what you should be doing ASK questions.
- Be aware of debris in the water and speak-up if the boat is going to hit something.
- If there is time, hose off boats. We will also clean the boats every Saturday.
- Put away boats, oars, and take down the coaches launches. Help other boats getting off the water.
- Drink water and eat something with protein within 30 minutes to aid in muscle recovery.
Leaving PracticeRowers must not wander off away from the team and where the coach told them to be. Rowers may not leave practice until dismissed by a coach.
The BusA bus is provided for weekday water practices. It leaves from in front of the school at 2:45 p.m. and returns around 6:45–7:00 p.m. depending on traffic. Rules when on the bus:
- No walking around or loud or distracting noises while the bus is moving. Kids do homework on the bus, so the noises level must be conducive to studying. If we have two buses, one will be reserved for quiet studying.
- There is no assigned seating on the bus. First come, first served.
- Clean-up after yourself and throw out all trash at the end of the trip.
- Respect the bus drivers and do what they say.